Free Webinar: Your Impact on Mental Health: How Your Career Development Practice Promotes Client Mental Health – April 3, 2020 with Dave Redekopp & Michael Huston
This free webinar offers you the opportunity to further key learnings based on the recently launched CERIC book Strengthening Mental Health Through Effective Career Development: A Practitioner’s Guide. The webinar will be led by the co-authors of the book.
Date: Friday, April 3, 2020, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm ET
Presenters: Dave Redekopp, Life-Role Development Group & Michael Huston, Associate Professor at Mount Royal University
Client/student mental health predictably improves as a result of career development. In this one-hour webinar, we summarize the broad ranging effects of career development and their associated mental health benefits. We also review some of the mechanisms underlying career development’s role in mental health and describe how, by adjusting one’s intentions, these positive mental health outcomes can be achieved more effectively in your career development practice.
Why You Should Attend
The mental health movement is highlighting the importance of mental health. Career development is rarely part of mental health discussions, yet it can be a key pillar in the support and promotion of positive mental health. As a career development practitioner, your work will be well served and strengthened by building your capacity to recognize and communicate your role in positive mental health.
- How career development intervention is mental health intervention
- The distinctions between mental health and mental illness
- The effects of career development that are related to mental health
- How stress is a universal connector of career development intervention and mental health
- How the use of key skill sets common to career development practice can be used in service of positive mental health
Dave Redekopp is President of the Life-Role Development Group Ltd. and has been an avid champion of career development since 1988. He has received provincial and national awards in career development and is widely recognized in Canada as a thought leader in the field. Dave holds a PhD in Educational Psychology from the University of Alberta.
Michael Huston has been involved in the career development field as a counsellor, practitioner, trainer and counsellor educator since the early 1990s. He is a Registered Psychologist, Counsellor and Associate Professor at Mount Royal University in Calgary, where he provides counselling addressing personal, educational and career-related concerns.
Strengthening Mental Health Through Effective Career Development: A Practitioner’s Guide
The guide shows how to connect career development services to clients’ mental health while working ethically and within the boundaries of competence and role. It includes a focus on evaluating the mental health impact of career services and communicating these outcomes to stakeholders.
Practitioners will be equipped to:
- improve their career development services,
- broaden their view of client concerns to include well-being outcomes as part of a whole-person approach to career/life planning,
- and strengthen their collaboration with healthcare service providers.