Free webinar for career practitioners working with Inuit clients
CERIC is offering a free webinar Pinasuutitsaq – An Intervention Guide for Career Development Practitioners Working with Inuit on Tuesday, November 21 with career development consultant Sophie Mathers of AXTRA (formerly known as RQuODE). The same webinar will be offered in French on Thursday, November 23.
Indigenous peoples represent an emerging clientele in the career development field, yet their needs for socio-professional integration remain quite unknown. Their unique reality requires a multidimensional approach that takes into account their cultural, social and economic specificities. Given the absence of specific reference guides or tools to foster the integration and ongoing employment of Inuit peoples, AXTRA committed to field-based research documenting interventions with Inuit clients. This led to the creation of a CERIC-funded reference guide tailored to support career development practitioners in their work with Inuit and, with certain adaptations, to other marginalized clientele.
This webinar will present some of the key strategies presented in the guide and demonstrate its relevance with concrete examples.
- Discover new strategies that can be used with marginalized clienteles
- Increase your understanding of and sensitivity to the Inuit culture and their context
- Learn about the specificities of the Inuit clientele, and its impact on career development services
- Explore the guide and some of the strategies developed to optimize your interventions with Inuit
- Identify strategies relevant to your practice
Sophie Mathers is a Career Development Consultant, and has been working with the Inuit and Cree Governments on the capacity building of their front-line workers, for the past eight years. She lived in Inukjuak for three years and had the chance to train the Inuit Employment Officers of all Nunavik communities.