Infographic: COVID-19 and Canada’s post-secondary students
View PDF here: COVID-19 and Canada’s post-secondary students
Plain text below image.
COVID-19 and Canada’s post-secondary students
Statistics Canada surveyed students in spring 2020, finding:
- 75% of students had all of their courses moved online.
- 26% had some courses postponed or delayed.
- 11% were unable to complete a credential as planned.
- Over one-third of students had a work placement cancelled or delayed. Students studying healthcare and services were more likely to report this.
Student employment changes:
- 49% lost job prospects
- 48% lost job or laid off
- 26% had hours reduced
Proportion of respondents who are “very” or “extremely” concerned about:
- 67% having no job prospects in the near future
- 63% effect of pandemic on grades
- 58% loss of jobs in the future
- 54% having to take on more student debt
- 51% difficulty paying tuition next term
- 505 paying for accommodations next term
Statistics Canada. (2020). COVID-19 Pandemic: Academic impacts on postsecondary students in Canada. https://bit.ly/2XJKkEW
Statistics Canada. (2020). COVID-19 pandemic: Impacts on the work placements of postsecondary students in Canada. https://bit.ly/3etLafO